Memorial Window

Place 200506 258_small

The window was installed as a memorial to those who had perished in the First and Second World Wars. It was designed and made by James Powell and Sons (Whitefriars) London and was unveiled by Rt. Hon. Lord Freyberg on 3 August 1952. It illustrates the message of Hebrews 12:1-2.

“Wherefore seeing we also are compassed with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.”

In the window the Divine leadership and the fellowship of Faith are symbolised. Above is Christ the King, and looking unto the Author of our faith are the prophets, priests and kings of ancient times. Linked with them in an unbroken succession are those who in our day have by faith overcome evil and wrought righteousness. Three forms of noble devotion are represented in the three figures on the right: the unselfishness and sacrifice of women symbolised in the mother: the courage and fortitude of sailors, soldiers, airmen and nurses represented by the soldier; and the endurance and bravery of heroes of peace, typified by Captain Robert Scott, Antarctic explorer. The badges of the fighting and nursing services at the foot of the window and the Southern Cross in the centre indicate the unity of all services of which the soldier is a symbolical figure.

Place 200506 052_small

From Parish Church of St Luke, Wadestown: A Short History 1881-1957 by H.A. Peebles.


Doreen Green has written an interesting history of the War Memorial Window. Click here to view Doreen Green’s History of the War Memorial Window

Next Page – Organ




Place 200506 043_small

Place 200506 028_small

Place 200506 031_small